Are you one of those people who have been waiting long to unlock your iPhone 3G and free it from the shackles of the carrier in your country or use it overseas.. Well your wait is officially over, because the Dev Team has released the yellowsn0w application, that will unlock your iPhone 3G in a couple of minutes.. Trust me, it ain’t hard and the hard work of Dev Team was worth the wait..
Perfect gift for the new years from Dev Team Here are the prerequisites before you can proceed with the unlock of the phone..
- You Must Have Jailbroken iPhone 3G Running Firmware 2.2 with the baseband modem firmware as 02.28.00
- To find the version of your baseband firmware, go to Settings->General->About and scroll down to find the version of your modem firmware..
- If you are not on Firmware 2.2 with baseband firmware at 02.28.00 you will need to restore your iPhone to 2.2 and rejailbreak/pwn using QuickPwn.
Alright now that you guys, lets proceed with juicy stuff of unlocking your iPhone..
Okay here we go’.
- Fire up Cydia from your SpringBoard.
- Select the Manage Tab at the bottom of Cydia.
- Select the Sources Button.
- Press the Edit Button at the top of the screen.
- Now Press the Add Button at the top of the screen.
- Enter http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/ as the source url and press the Add Source button.
- Return to Cydia once the source has been added, and press the Done button at the top of the screen.
- Tap on the just added repo apt9.yellowsn0w.com .
- Select yellowsn0w from the list of available packages.
- Press the Install button at the top of the screen.
- Press the Confirm button at the top of the screen.
- After the installation has been successfully completed, press the Return to Cydia button.
- Now Restart your iPhone, and pop in your third party SIM into the iPhone.. The Phone should now be unlocked and running on the carrier of your choice..
That was simple ain’t it? The Dev Team has really done brilliant job here, in making the process of unlocking the iPhone so darn easy! If you run into problems during this, read the following suggestions..
- It seems that getting your iPhone to pick up your new carrier can be helped by turning off 3G and perhaps toggling the Airplane Mode switch on and off.
- If you are still having problems try removing and reinserting the SIM or booting with the new SIM already inside.
- If none of these seem to work, wait for a couple of days since yellowsn0w is still beta, so there might be bugs the Dev Team will squash out in the coming few days.
The Beauty of yellowsn0w is that it makes no changes to anything on your iPhone.. Yes you heard it right, yellowsn0w will in no way modify the contents of your iPhone Baseband.. Here’s what MuscleNerd of the Dev Team said :
it doesn’t touch a bit of the baseband NOR…all the patches are injected on the fly in RAM…they go away with poweroff
So you can uninstall yellowsn0w anytime you wish, and still leave your iPhone in a pristine state..
A Big thanks to the Dev Team for the wonderful effort, and I am sure this is the perfect gift for new years for many many iPhone users all over the world’
Please post in your questions in the comments, I’ll try to help you as much as possible.. Happy new year to all of you
Photo credit: bwana