For long I’ve considered the Mac Mini from Apple as a candidate for my future Home Media Server. The Mac Mini has always been an iconic device with its neat and minimal design. However with the release of Inspiron Zino HD from Dell, I’ve given up on the Mac Mini unless Apple comes up with a radically better Mac Mini than the existing one in the market.
In short the Inspiron Zino HD is a small PC that packs quite a punch in an 8′ by 8′ square. And the best part is that it’ll make an awesome device to have in your living room. So what does the Zino HD come with?
Well for starters, it comes with tons of customization options on the Hardware configuration just as you’d expect otherwise from Dell. The base model starts at 299$ and here is what the PC comes with (or can be configured with)
- It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit or Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
- You can customize the PC with 7 solid colors.
- You can customize the PC with 3 designs.
- The Inspiron Zino HD uses AMD’s Athlon processor (single or dual core).
- The base configuration is 3GB of RAM, but can be configured with 4, 6, and 8GB of RAM with 8GB being the max.
- Storage shouldn’t be a problem with your choice of 500GB, 640GB, 750GB, or 1TB 7200rpm SATA hard drives.
- You can choose either a DVD +/- RW drive or Blu-ray drive.
- For graphics, you can choose either an integrated ATI Radeon HD3200 or discrete ATI Radeon HD 4330 with 512MB of dedicated memory.
- It has HDMI and VGA ports.
- A 4-in-1 media card reader and integrated gigabit Ethernet are both standard.
- It has integrated 2.1 High Definition audio with the choice of going with a Sound Blaster X-Fi High Definition audio from Creative.
- For your wireless needs, you can choose either a Dell 1397 802.11 b/g wireless card or Dell 1520 802.11 b/g/n wireless card.
What Makes the Inspiron Zino HD the best choice for a Home Media Center?
- Extremely good storage options.
- Connectivity through HDMI will allow you to connect to HDTV.
- Good expandable options, so you can easily connect a TV Tuner card, to record TV.
But the Inspiron Zino HD is just too irresistible for my tastes and would love to own one of these cute PC’s to have in my living room. Wish Dell just had a nice little remote to give like the Apple Remote!