While a lot of people are awaiting the release of Pwnage tool from iPhone Dev Team, there are equally that many people who accidentally got upgraded to 2.0 leaving their precious iPhone locked and unusable.
If you are one of those, then follow this guide to restore your iPhone 2G from firmware 2.0 to 1.1.4 and completely unlock it. This is of course is the only way you can use your iPhone 2G until the Dev Team releases Pwnage tool 2.0.
Follow the instructions below carefully, and you should be able to achieve the stated goal pretty fast. Trust me, it ain’t that hard’.
Warning : This tutorial/guide is for the iPhone 2G only which have been accidentally upgraded to 2.0 needing to restore back to 1.1.4 and unlock the phone. Do not use this guide on your iPhone 3G.
Also this guide is currently only for the Mac OS.. I will add a guide for Windows when it is available and ready.
Alright lets get started then’. Download the following items at the start, you will need them during the course of the tutorial.
- iTunes 7.7 (from Apple)
- iTunes 7.5 (from Apple)
- iPhone 1.1.4 Firmware
- Pwnage Tool 1.1
- iPhone 3.9 and 4.6 Bootloaders
Download all of them and keep them handy.. Lets get started then with the real deal.. Get ready to free your iPhone
- Install iTunes 7.7 and then uninstall it using AppZapper. This is to make sure you have the correct drivers and files necessary for the iPhone with firmware 2.0.
- Open Terminal and type the following command. Enter the administrator password when prompted for it.
sudo rm -R /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework
- Now install iTunes 7.5 and reboot your Mac.
- Rename iTunes folder in Music to iTunesOLD. Run iTunes and configure everything to your hearts liking and quit iTunes.
- Plug in your iPhone using the dock connector. iTunes should now recognize the iPhone and prompt you telling that you need a newer version of iTunes. Just don’t bother and click OK.
- Now the tricky part, you now need to put the iPhone in DFU Mode. Note that the iPhone is completely blank in the DFU Mode.
Here’s how to get into the DFU Mode, hold the home button on the bottom and the power button until the screen turns off and then count to 2 and let go of the power button on the top of the iPhone , but keep pressing home button until iTunes asks you if you want to restore your iPhone.
- Now in iTunes option click Restore in the iPhone tab and choose the iPhone firmware file iphone1,1_188.8.131.52A102_Restore.ipsw you downloaded earlier.
- iTunes will now restore 1.1.4 onto the iPhone. Once it is done you should get an error 1015 which is good sign.
- Now put your iPhone in normal restore mode (not DFU). To go into normal Restore mode turn off iPhone, turn on with a tap on power while holding the home button and hold the home button until iTunes tells that you need to restore your iPhone. Now restore the firmware again just like in the previous step. Don’t bother about the error code.
- Now quit iTunes and start Pwnage tool that you downloaded earlier and hit browse ipsw and select the firmware you downloaded earlier..
- Hit iPwner, and after a while your iPhone will start showing text, loads of it. After a while it should restart and ask you to connect it to iTunes.
- Hit Browse ipsw. Choose the file you downloaded earlier. Select ipsw builder and configure the options as shown below in the screenshot.
- Hit Ok, and choose the two bootloader files from the rar archive you downloaded earlier. Choose a location to save your restore file.
- Quit Pwnage tool, and fire up iTunes one last time.
- Option click on restore in the iPhone tab (the alt key + mouse key) and choose the new custom restore file you created in Pwnage tool.
- Once the restore is complete, your iPhone should be completely unlocked and jailbroken. You should be able to run any apps you wish and use any SIM.
- Sync your iPhone, and enjoy your totally unlocked iPhone.
Well that is it, wasn’t that long isn’t it. Try it out and at the moment it is the best solution until Dev Team gets around to releasing Pwnage tool 2.0 that will unlock Firmware 2.0 on the iPhone 2G.
Meanwhile enjoy your hacked phone!! Special thanks to aRT in the forums for writing this guide.
Please let us know in the comments, as to how it goes for you. This wouldn’t be possible without the work of many hackers from around the world whose sole aim is to free up the iPhone.